Cooking up a storm in Birmingham’s Balti Triangle
Almost everybody loves a curry and particularly a balti. Birmingham is where the balti phenomenon first started and for curry and culture lovers, a tour of the Balti Triangle is a must, not only to sample the real thing and find out what makes the Birmingham Balti so special but also to enjoy the area’s multi cultural offer.
Andy Munro, born and bred in the area and author of the Essential St Baltiguide and the definitive book on the history of the dish ‘Going For A Balti’ will provide a fascinating insight into the history of this legendary dish and ensure a thoroughly entertaining (and of course appetising!) visit.
Packages are normally suitable for parties of between ten and sixty and consist of the following….
PACKAGE 1 (MEAL/COOKERY DEMO/PRESENTATION)
A four course meal comprising poppadoms and dips, starter, balti with naan or rice, asian sweet and coffee or tea. The tour starts with an entertaining short illustrated talk about balti called ‘What a Curry On‘ and is followed by a cookery demo (everybody gets a recipe card) before sitting down for the meal. Allow about three hours for this package which as with all the balti tours commences in the heart of the Balti Triangle on the Ladypool Road.(from £19.50 pp)
PACKAGE 2 (MEAL/COOKERY DEMO/PRESENTATION/BALTI QUIZ WITH PRIZES)
As with Package 1 but ends with a laugh a minute Balti Quiz Allow about three and a half hours for this package ( from £21 pp)
PACKAGE 3 (MEAL/COOKERY/PRESENTATION/BALTI QUIZ WITH PRIZES/GUIDED TOUR OF THE AREA)
As with Package 2 but includes a guided tour with visits to Sari Shop, Spice Shop, Jeweller, Shoe Shop and Sweet Centre etc . Allow about four hours for this package (from £23 pp).
- large parties will have a private function room at the restaurant
- only restaurants that cook the genuine Birmingham Balti will be used
- all restaurants used are unlicensed but don’t charge corkage..there are a number of off licences in the vicinity
- assumes coach driver has free meal for large parties
- packages assumes evening visit arriving either mid afternoon or early evening depending on the type of package chosen, although lunchtime visits can be organised.
- tour dates are available throughout the year to groups wishing to book.