Uncover the secrets of Birmingham’s Hidden Gem
Alternative Tours can organise a bespoke itinerary and provide a guided tour around this fascinating area uncovering its many secrets. Rare behind the scenes are possible as Anna Gibson, partner and tour guide, was Marketing Director for the area for many years with many contacts in the trade.
Itinerary options include the following:
- Pen Museum; a fascinating insight into the time when the Jewellery Quarter was the world centre of pen making.
- Behind the Scenes; a visit to a jewellery designer maker or one of the area’s historic manufacturers.
- Walking the Pavement/Historic Buildings Trails; a fascinating insight into the history of the area.
- Historic Parks and Cemeteries; see the ghostly catacombs and the two cemeteries that have been described as the ‘Westminster’ of Birmingham
- Secrets of the Jewellery Quarter; an illustrated and entertaining presentation unveiling the quirkier side to the Quarter.
- Museum of the Jewellery Quarter; enjoy an hour long tour of this award winning Museum as part of your guided visit.
- St Paul’s Church; known as the jewellers church where the Jewellery Quarter first started and set in Birmingham’s last remaining Georgian Square.
- A Sparkling Shopping Experience with a difference.
- St Paul’s Gallery; normally only open by appointment, marvel at the world’s largest collection of signed and framed rock album cover prints
- Royal Birmingham Society of Artists; one of the oldest galleries in the UK with Royal status…a great collection of art on three floors.
- Coffin Works; Visit this award winning museum and experience a Victorian factory time capsule.
Typical cost to a full day’s guided tour with visits, including entrance fees where applicable, from £16 a head. However, this depends on the size of the party..normally suitable for parties between ten and sixty. As an addition a lunch/dinner can be arranged at a fixed price or a list of restaurants that can cater for parties can be provided .
Tour dates are available throughout the year to groups wishing to book.
- tours normally start in St Pauls Square
- tours are either half a day or a full day depending on the itinerary options chosen
- a small memento can be organised at an extra cost as a souvenir of a visit
- Coach parking is available for short stay in the Quarter or longer stay at the official City Council Coach park about half a mile away. Branston St or Fleet St for short stay and Brewery St for BCC long stay.